When I was recently in New York State, I had taken Indian Cooking Classes from Julie Sahni who lives in Brooklyn. The classes started shortly after Hurricane Sandy hit New York, so the place she usually took her students for shopping, she was unable to get to.
So in place of that, she recommended that we visit Sinha Trading Co, Foods of India in Manhattan. My friend and I spent a whole afternoon in their shop and they were absolutely lovely men who were so kind and helpful in assisting us to find the foods and spices that Ms Sahni had recommended. If you need any Indian products, Foods of India ships! They kindly wrapped and boxed everything we purchased..offered to drive us to the nearest FedEx shop even for shipping. They even helped us flag a taxi! Talk about service.
But the best service was when they surprised us during their “tea” time, bringing us some fabulous Indian Tea to drink as we shopped. In fact, one of the men even shared with us his own recipe for authentic Indian Chai Tea, which I am happy to share with you! I have never liked Chai Tea so I didn’t want to offend them and I drank some hesitantly. BOY, am I glad I didn’t turn that cup of Chai Tea down! This tea is fabulous and rivals hot cocoa! If you know how much I love hot cocoa, then you know how fabulous this tea is. I hope you enjoy this recipe and I say again, thanks to the men from Foods of India!
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tsp loose leaf orange pekoe black tea
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 inch stick Indian cinnamon
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 pods green cardamom, finger crushed
- Milk beverage of your choice, soy, almond,rice
- Put all the ingredients, EXCEPT the milk, into a stove top kettle and BOIL gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Then add milk, amount depends on how you like your tea
- Strain the tea into your favorite mug and enjoy!